Nat's Culinary Adventures

So here goes.... I am going to try and keep up with this as best I can. For all of you who know me food is my passion, and has been for as long as I believe I have been alive. I think about food all the time, I dream about it!! Have even created recipes in my dreams... its crazy. I hope that for some of you, you will look at my blog and realize that you can in fact do anything as long as you have a good knife, and a desire to create. Bon Appetite:)

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Awesome Crab Ragoon

I have to say that I do love the ones you get at the Chinese restaurant but you know they are made with immitation crab meat and who knows what else. So I came up with this recipe and I think that after you try these you will never want the ones from the restaurant again. I have baked them and have deep fried them, and of course if you want authentic crab ragoon you should deep fry them but honestly if you dont want to deal with the hassle of deep frying you can bake them. They are awesome either way it just depends on what you feel like doing. If you are using a pan that isn't nonstick I would make sure that it has oil on it. Other than that you dont have to put anything on them if you are baking them.

Ingredients

1 8oz pkg cream cheese softened
1 can of real crab meat
2 green onions diced small
2 tbsp of real ginger diced small
3 garlic cloves diced small
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped fine
1 pkg of wonton wrappers ( I use the square ones but feel free to use the round ones if you like.


Directions
Combine Cream cheese, crab meat, green onions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, cilantro leaves. Cover and place in the fridge for an hour. You want all the ingredients to sit and let the flavors meld together. Take the wonton wrappers and brush the edges with water. Place a tbsp of the mixture in the center and fold how you like. There are many ways to fold the wonton wrapper , you just want to make sure that if you are deep frying them the edges are sealed and if you are baking them its not as neccessary. If you decide to bake them you want to preheat your oven to 375 degrees. If you are deep frying them you want the oil to be around the 375 degree mark as well. Place them on the cookie sheet and bake them for about 12-15 minutes or until they are a golden brown. If you are deep frying them, you want to drop them in the oil and flip once and once they are golden brown they are done, dont put to many of them in there or the oil temperature will drop and you willl have oily wontons. Depending on the size of what you are deep frying them in will depend on how many you place in the oil. When they are done take them out and let them drain on a paper towel. BE CAREFUL as the insides will be MOLTEN!!!! If you are baking them take them out of the oven and let cool slightly before eating as they will be molten as well. I found an amazing sweet chili sauce at an asian market that I used as a dipping sauce. Any sweet and sour sauce will do . This recipe will do about 3 dozen, it can easily be doubled if you like.