Nat's Culinary Adventures

So here goes.... I am going to try and keep up with this as best I can. For all of you who know me food is my passion, and has been for as long as I believe I have been alive. I think about food all the time, I dream about it!! Have even created recipes in my dreams... its crazy. I hope that for some of you, you will look at my blog and realize that you can in fact do anything as long as you have a good knife, and a desire to create. Bon Appetite:)

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Coconut Shrimp and lime Jasmine Rice

I think this recipe is simple and delicious. I added frozen green peas to the rice before I served it and I thought it was good. The jalapenos can be omitted if you dont want it too spicy.


Shrimp:

2 fresh jalapenos sliced
3 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
1/2 piece of fresh ginger peeled and grated
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 lime. zested
1/4 cup coconut milk
small handful basil leaves torn
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper
1 pound peeled deveined shrimp


In a mixing bowl combine jalapenos, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, lime zest, coconut milk, basil, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Add the shrimp and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours refrdgerated.

Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat. Use tongs or a fork to remove the shrimp from the marinade and place an even layer in the pan, reserve the marinade.

Cook the shrim until pink and firm on both sides turning only once, about 3-4 minutes total. Transfer cooked shrimp to a bowl

Add the reserved marinade to the pan and bring to a boil, cook until slightly thickened about 5 min.

Pour over the shrimp, and serve with the rice



Lime Jasmine Rice

1 Cup Jasmine Rice
3/4 Cup coconut milk
3/4 Cup water
pinch salt
1/2 lime zested and juiced

Put the rice coconut milk lime juice water and salt in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and gently simmer until the liquid is absorbed about 12-15 min. Fluff with fork and stir in the lime zest. Serve immediately with the shrimp.