Nat's Culinary Adventures

So here goes.... I am going to try and keep up with this as best I can. For all of you who know me food is my passion, and has been for as long as I believe I have been alive. I think about food all the time, I dream about it!! Have even created recipes in my dreams... its crazy. I hope that for some of you, you will look at my blog and realize that you can in fact do anything as long as you have a good knife, and a desire to create. Bon Appetite:)

Monday, August 21, 2006

Pavlova

This is a meringue that is an amazing dessert. Tyler's Mom gave me the recipe and we all loved it. It didnt last very long. You make this the night before and let it sit in your oven. Its an amazing alternative to sponge cake for strawberry shortcake. Oh and homemade whip cream is a must with this.... no stuff out of a can or that fake stuff called cool whip!!!!!!

4 egg whites
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp vinegar

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue beating while adding sugar slowly, 1tbsp at a time. Add vinegar and vanilla and beat until very stiff.
Place parchment on a cookie sheet and spread the mixture in a circle slightly smaller than desired size. Instead of making one big one you can also make smaller ones. Bake 1 hour at 275 degrees . Turn off oevn and leave meringue to dry overnight.

When ready to serve peel off paper and place on a serving platter. Top with Strawberries and fresh whip cream. To cut slices make sure you have a warm glass of water and a good knife to cut it with. Dip the knife in the warm water and cut. Its amazing!!!!!