Nat's Culinary Adventures

So here goes.... I am going to try and keep up with this as best I can. For all of you who know me food is my passion, and has been for as long as I believe I have been alive. I think about food all the time, I dream about it!! Have even created recipes in my dreams... its crazy. I hope that for some of you, you will look at my blog and realize that you can in fact do anything as long as you have a good knife, and a desire to create. Bon Appetite:)

Monday, January 11, 2010

Egg Free Blood Orange Truffle Brownies

Ok so I have tried many many many brownies and despite these having no eggs they were officially one of the best brownies I have ever had. Of course I added some good stuff to them just because that is what I do.
They make this amazing crust on the outside and are very fudgie on the inside. I always suggest removing them 5 minutes before they are set because this will allow the brownie to be more moist and not as cakey. I hate cakey brownies:)

Ingredients
1/3 cup A.P Flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter (unsalted is preferred but you can use salted just add less salt to the recipe)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ( you want to use a good cocoa powder, it makes a huge difference in the overall chocolate flavor of the brownie.
2 cups white sugar
2 cups A.P flour ( if you are trying to add whole wheat to your diet and can find whole wheat pastry flour, it will work wonderfully in this recipe.)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp blood orange zest
half a blood orange juiced
12 chocolate truffles  roughly chopped( the simple french ones that you find covered in cocoa powder in a box, chill them before you chop them or they will end up a gooey not so fun mess)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x 13 inch pan. In a heavy saucepan combine the 1/3 cup flour and water. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool.

In small saucepan melt butter, you can also do this in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for 20 second intervals till it is melted.  Once butter is melted add cocoa powder and mix till smooth. Set aside to cool.
Beat the sugar into the cooled flour mixture. Stir in the cocoa and butter mixture until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt then stir into the batter. Stir in the orange zest and juice and chopped truffles. Spread evenly using a offset spatula in the pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remember to take out just before they are set. They will continue to cook after you take them out. Cool before cutting... I never wait till they are cool. I am a warm brownie lover!:)

ENJOY!